Buying a Condo Unit in Thailand

Last Updated on

Many foreigners aspire the purchase of a condominium unit in Thailand, for either residential or investment purposes.

  1. Foreign Ownership

Foreigners are allowed to buy and own condominium units in Thailand. However, only condominiums registered under pertinent laws and licensed with the Thai Land Department offer full individual ownership (with a government-issued unit ownership title deed) and are regulated by the Thailand Condominium Act.

At least 51% of the total residential area of the condominium building must always be Thai owned. The foreign-owned units are often referred to as “foreign freehold” units or units held under the “foreign quota”. If the foreign freehold ownership in a condominium has reached the limit of 49%, the remaining units may be leased to foreigners under a 30-year lease agreement. This is often referred to as “leasehold unit”.

There are no restrictions with regards to nationality, and any foreigner who can enter Thailand with a valid visa can buy and own condominium units within the foreign ownership quotas of the condominium.

  1. Transfer of Foreign Currency is Required

The purchase price of the condo must be transferred into Thailand in foreign currency and converted into Thai Baht by a licensed financial institution within Thailand.

For a foreigner buying a condominium a proof of fund or the so-called “FET-Form” form (Foreign Exchange Transaction Form) or the bank certificate, with his name either as the receiver or sender of the foreign currency, is part of the required documents for registration of foreign ownership at the Land Department.

Condo Purchase Thailand

Option 2: Paying in Thai Baht from a Non-Resident Account

It is possible to pay in Thai Baht for a condominium if you have the funds in a non-resident account opened with the bank in Thailand. With this method, you must have a certificate from your bank that certifies that you withdraw Thai Baht from your non-resident account in the amount of not less than the price of a condominium unit which you are going to buy. In that certificate, it should state that the money you withdraw is for purchasing a condominium.

If you are married, you need to present a Marriage certificate during the registration for official records.

  1. Ownership Transfer – Fees and Taxes

In general, the current fee and taxes applicable to and payable upon the registration of ownership of a condominium unit are as follows:

a. Transfer fee:

2% of the value of the condo unit (as appraised by the land office).

b. Income Tax:

Income tax (withholding tax) at the rate of 1% of the land office appraised or the actual transaction value of the condominium unit (whichever is higher) applies if the seller is a juristic person. This is a withholding tax, and it is credited to (i.e. deducted from) the company’s income tax payable for that year.

An incremental personal income tax with a sliding scale from 0% – 35% based on the value of the property (as appraised by the land office) applies if the seller is an individual and gain a profit, the seller shall be obligated to be liable for tax filing and payable to the Revenue Department.

c. Stamp Duty or Specific Business Tax:

Either Stamp Duty at the rate of 0.5% of the appraised or the actual transaction value of the property (whichever is higher) applies or Specific Business Tax at the rate of 3.3% of the appraised or the actual transaction value of the property (whichever is higher). In general, the Stamp Duty will apply if the land has not been transferred within the last five years. Otherwise, the Specific Business Tax will always apply.

  1. Taxation of Income Derived from the Unit

Rental income, as well as proceeds of a resale, are subject to income tax. Profits derived from property in Thailand are taxable in Thailand. According to Double Taxation Agreements, they are taxable only in Thailand.

Generally, the tax rates are as follows:

a. Tax rate for the corporate taxpayer: 20% (current rate, reduced for small and medium-sized companies)

b. Tax rate for the individual taxpayer: 0-35% (sliding scale, please see above regarding the discharge from tax liability in case of a resale)

Rental income must be declared in an annual tax return. For a corporate taxpayer, also the proceeds from a sale must be declared.

Furthermore, in January of 2020, the Thai Government implemented a new tax structure for land and buildings being used for residential purposes. This also includes condominiums used for residential purposes. According to the new tax structure, land and buildings used for residential purposes with appraisal values of 50 million baht or less are tax-exempt, those valued at 50-75 million baht are taxed at 0.03%, properties worth 75-100 million baht are taxed at 0.05%, and those appraised at more than 100 million baht at 0.1%. Please note that these tax rates only apply if your name is present in the house registration (Tabian baan). Houses or condominiums without your name present in the house registration are considered to be subsequent residences and are subject to a different rate.

If owners have more than one house or condo, subsequent residences up to 50 million baht in value are subject to a 0.02% tax, and the same rate as principal homes is applied to residences worth more than that.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions:

Comments are closed.